As a CEO, president or business owner, when you think about business here’s how to focus your thoughts for a successful year: Past – Present – Future.
- What did we do in the past that worked well and need to continue doing?
- What did we do in the past that did NOT work well and needs improvement for better business?
- What are we doing TODAY?
- How is the business operated TODAY?
- What does the future bring for myself, the company, employees and customers?
- What needs to happen for continuing success?
- What structure needs to be put in place to ensure success happens?
Keeping in mind the past – present – future of your company, here are 3 business tips to consider for a successful year:
1.) Prospecting AND Sales. Many business articles you read may only focus on sales. But when developing and analyzing your sales strategy it must always include prospecting. Looking for new business is a must for a successful year. Everything comes down to, not just sales, but prospecting and sales. If you don’t have the right prospects, you won’t have the opportunity to sell and ultimately, close any deals.
It’s not just a matter of selling. It’s a matter of:
- understanding who the prospect is
- talking to the right people with the right message
- having the right price, right product and/or service to close the sale.
Then you and your sales team can go on to the next prospect and sale. And the next prospect and sale after that…
A successful year comes from actively creating and consistently doing business. Doing business results from prospecting and sales.
Most business people don’t like to prospect for new business. They would rather be handed a lead or better yet, wait for the sale to come to them. But if you do permit that on an ongoing basis, eventually you’ll go out of business. To be a dynamic successful salesperson, you must seek new business by:
- knowing your market
- knowing your customer
- never stop prospecting.
2.) Staffing. Business is about people. Without the right people; without the right employees there will be no business. It won’t matter how good your product or service may be without the right employees. Always hire for attitude first. Then talent, skills, experience and education.
- Do I have the right people in the right positions?
- How much and how often should employees be coached? What topics?
- How do I get employees to understand and embrace the mission of the company in everything they do?
- Do I need to move any employees to other positions that they may be better suited for?
- Do I need to hire individuals for specific segments of the business to continue having a successful year?
- Do I need to hire more salespeople? If so, how many?
- What sales volume do I need to consider this a successful year in my business?
3.) Training. Training is often one of the most missed opportunities with the majority of businesses when working towards having a successful year.
- How can you expect better performance from your employees, your management staff, your co-workers, if they don’t fully understand due to a lack of training and information?
The better trained and informed your employees are, the better they understand the overall vision you have for the company and its goals, the better they can serve the customer or the client. You will have a team of more motivated and happier employees with less turnover. This will lead to more business opportunity for a successful year.
- right sales strategy
- on target prospecting
- closing sales according to the sales plan
- making certain the right people are in place
- identifying what people need to know
- training employees to keep everyone up-to-date with their skills, the company should be on its way to successful year.
Always asking yourself:
- What are the weak areas of the business?
When, as a CEO, president or business owner, you put it all together, it can only lead to a successful year.
May this be your best business year ever!
To your success!
Business expert and strategist, Howard Lewinter, guides – focuses – advises CEOs, presidents and business owners throughout the United States across a wide variety of industries, to MORE success – MORE profit – less stress. Business people trust Howard’s vast business knowledge, intuitive insight and objective perspective to solve business problems and issues. Get MORE from your business. Talk business with Howard: 888-738-1855.
Connect with Howard on LinkedIn.
Follow Howard on Twitter.