The month of December marks the fourth anniversary of the Talk Business With Howard radio show (broadcast Monday – Friday) on Blog Talk Radio. The radio show has evolved over the years to its present format, The 5 Minute Business Strategy, with business advice, insight and perspective to improve and grow your business for more business success, greater profit and less business stress.
As the final business days of 2014 bring the year to a close, let’s talk about your business, not for 2015, but for what happened in 2014 while there’s still time.
Here are 5 points you, as the CEO, president or business owner, need to do or think about for business success before the start of 2015:
1) Contact your company’s accountant or CPA. The year isn’t over… yet. Take a few minutes and talk about how you can still make this the best financial year possible. For example:
- review business taxes
- review profit and loss statements for the year
- review how you could have been smarter with your business finances
2) In order to be more successful and more profitable in 2015, you need to thoroughly look at the 2014 business year. Look at:
- The past: What needs to change? Learn from your business mistakes. Ask: What could have been done better?
- The present: What is the company doing well? What does the company need to do more of?
- The future: What are your company’s future plans? How are you going to get there?
3) Take the time to pause, honestly reflect and look into the mirror of your business. What do you see?
Where was the…
Where was the…
What situations put your company on top?
What situations didn’t your company handle so well?
Be openly critical of the 2014 business year so you can have a GREAT 2015.
Business isn’t static. Business isn’t a level plane or playing field. Business is always about doing your best and doing more, more, more…
If you don’t take the time to reflect on your business in 2014 then how will you be successful in 2015? You can’t keep doing the same things over and over and over, again and again and again.
Remember: The competition is always breathing down your neck. The best gift you can give the competition is your business – and I am certain that you don’t want to do that.
4) That’s why you need reach out to:
- Your customers at this time of year and let them know how much you appreciate their business. Pick up the phone and call your customers. Ask what more you can do for them.
- Do the same with your employees. Let them know how much you appreciate their efforts. Ask them for ideas on how to make the work experience and the company better.
- Don’t forget your vendors and other service providers who help make you the success you are. How can you better your relationships with them?
When you honestly and openly reflect on what is the mirror of your business it will show you the good, the bad and the ugly. It will also show you how to close out 2014 and be off to a successful start in 2015. Then let the business momentum build throughout the year.
5) When you walk in the door of your office every morning, ask yourself:
- What’s not right in my business that needs resolved?
- What will it take to make the business better?
- What do I need to do right now?
- How can I help every employee to succeed?
2015 gives you the opportunity to have the best business year ever. But your business success begins today in 2014. Don’t wait a moment longer to attain the success you and your company deserve. It’s waiting for you to make it happen!
For more business advice and tips, take 5 minutes and listen to the entire broadcast that inspired this blog post. The radio show is entitled: Let’s Talk About 2014 And Your Business. Let’s make 2015 the best business year ever! I look forward to talking business with you in 2015!