As a CEO, president or business owner, business is your world, isn’t it? Even when you are enjoying time off on the weekend or on vacation, business probably pops into your mind. It’s just who you are. Have you ever thought specifically about: Why do customers pay you for the products or services your business offers?
When you’re in business this may sound obvious but you need to sell products or services to customers. Why? The simple answer is: The customers pay you for whatever it is your company specializes in. By doing so, your business makes a profit.
Think about it for a moment and let’s look closer:
Why do your customers pay you?
- Do customers pay you because you show up when they need you?
- Do customers pay you because they especially like your website?
- Do customers pay you because you have a great presence on social media?
- Do customers pay you because of the price products and services are offered at?
Perhaps it helps to attract customers to your company. But it’s not why customers pay you.
There isn’t anything you do that someone else at another company doesn’t do – unless your company has a proprietary product or a patent.
Customers can always get business information, products and services almost anywhere.
So why do customers pay you (your company) rather than someone else?
Answer: Because you can do something for customers. It’s your unique point of difference from everyone else. It may even be multiple unique points of difference all rolled into one!
Customers pay you because you resonate with them in a way no one else does.
Customers pay you because:
- You have the goods and/or services they want and/or need to make life (and work) better.
- Because you can be integral in helping another business make a profit.
- You take the worry away regardless of how small or big the problem may be.
- You point customers in the right direction and keep them moving in the right direction.
- You provide exceptional customer service.
When customers pay you for your products or services it’s not directly about you. It’s not directly about your company. It’s about:
- What you can do for them.
- How you can be relied upon to be there.
- To get the job done. No matter how small or how large.
If a customer can “see” or visualize what it is you’re talking about then there’s nothing to really sell. The customer sells themselves on your products and/or services. The customer wants to do business with you. That’s why the customer pays you.
As a CEO, president or business owner, you want a sustainable, profitable business with repeat customers who act as advocates to attract more customers.
As I often say:
It’s the easiest of times to get into business. It is the hardest of times to stay in business.
For business success, you need to always be:
- On top of your business.
- Be flexible.
- Know what’s going on in the marketplace.
- Talk with confidence and knowledge.
- Be a leader: Leaders Lead (another favorite phrase of mine).
- Understand customers must always trust you and your company.
In business, money can be limitless. You truly can make a lot of money when everything is properly positioned and acted upon in your business at the right time and place.
For customers to give your company money in exchange for products and/or services they must be willing to risk their money. Customers or clients must also be willing to connect or associate themselves with you and your business. That’s why it’s so important to convey your message to customers in a manner they can relate to and are comfortable with.
If you help your customers to be successful in solving problems, then you and your company will be successful. Remember: What may not be a problem to you is a problem to someone else. That’s why there are so many businesses in the world!
- Is everyone in the company effectively communicating to customers and with co-workers?
If they are, then customers will not only want to do business with you but also, will want to pay you.
To your success!
Ready to improve and grow your business? Have business problems and business issues to resolve? Need to talk strategy about business decisions? Talk with Howard! – 888-738-1855 – Howard Lewinter guides – focuses – advises CEOs, presidents and business owners to MORE success – MORE profit – less stress. Get MORE from your business! Talk with Howard: 888-738-1855.
Published as a guest post on Viveka von Rosen’s Linked Into Business blog.